Friday, September 19, 2008

A recipe I can't share with my sister


Nut Burgers
(I don't think the title does them justice!)
A recipe from Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair

3/4 c sunflower seeds
3/4 walnuts
1 t cumin
1 t oregano
1/8 t cayenne
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 cooked brown rice
1 small carrot, grated
2 T tomato sauce

The recipe says to grind the nuts and seeds to a fine meal in a food processor (but I used my blender and liked the crunch that came from the nuts and seeds not being ground too fine). Mix the ground nuts and seeds and rest of ingredients in a bowl and shape into four patties. Coat skillet with oil and brown patties on both sides. I served mine with cooked spinach, cheese, and tomatoes on top. They are really filling and are a favorite at our house! They come together easily and use ingredients that we keep on hand - so it's a quick solution when I don't know what to make for dinner.

If you are wondering why I can't share with Sarah - one of her sons has a nut allergy.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Topsy said...

They look yum, are they really? I'll have to try them. Last time we made burgers at our house (not a family fave) they smelled like road kill. Sorry, gross. So I decided our hamburger days were pretty much over. The kids usually just pull out hte cheese and tomato anyway.

Rebecca said...

These sound (and look) awesome! We'll have to try them soon. We had salmon burgers the other night (pre-bought though) and everyone loved them. I was thrilled.

Honey said...

I want to know what you keep on hand? I think it would be interesting to see what people keep in their pantries on a regular basis and see what they create for meals. My pantry is pretty boring...probably why we eat the same things over and over and OVER!

Topsy said...

what about sunflower burgers? sounds light and fun, like a garden picnic.

Jill said...

Ok Christina, this recipe was a real doozy. You got to make something like this for me when you are out here. I can't imagine eating something like this ever. You are so brave and truthfully everything you touch is amazing.

Ricki said...

Yum! I love experimenting with different types of burger patties. I make a mean black bean burger. :)